COMMISSIONERS! EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS!! STAFF!!
The Michigan Chapter holds exclusive licensing from National NAHRO to offer high-quality NAHRO professional development programs for Commissioners right here in Michigan. Commissioners can obtain the training they need to effectively discharge their responsibilities on the Board and save time without breaking the bank (and the budget) traveling to high-priced venues in other parts of the country.
Commissioners’ Fundamentals and Ethics and the Housing and Community Development Commissioner trainings are being scheduled to take place in Evart, Michigan.
Completion of both seminars qualifies commissioners to receive certification from NAHRO, as a NAHRO Certified Commissioner (NCC). Participants may attend either seminar at a cost of $350, or the combined seminars at a cost of $600.
Space is limited. Sign up soon!
Evart Housing Commission
July 9-11, 2018
$600 per person for combined training
$350 per person for individual seminar training
(lunch included on Thursday and Friday)
Evart Housing Commission
601 West First Street
Evart, MI 49631-9596
Attendees will be responsible for their own housing arrangements.
Local hotels and numbers:
Osceola Grand Hotel: 940 W 7th St, Evart, MI 49631 PH: (231) 734-0470
Other nearest hotels are located in Big Rapids which is about 30 miles away.
Day One: 12:30 p.m. registration ~ 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. class (Fundamentals p.m.)
Day Two: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Fundamentals – all-day)
Day Three: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Ethics – all-day)
(Continental breakfast and lunch included on Tuesday and Wednesday)
Commissioners’ Fundamentals (1/2 Day Monday all-Day Tuesday): The commissioner has many roles and responsibilities. Participants who attend this session will enhance their understanding of the commissioner’s multi-faceted position as an advocate, leader, team-builder, strategist—and more. Among other topics, the course explores the intricacies of board-staff relationships and boundaries. This program provides an excellent training foundation and is designed for new, as well as seasoned commissioners who would like to update their current knowledge. (1.2 CEU)
- Welcome, Introductions and Expectations, Program Purpose and Objectives
- CE Instructions and Agenda Review
- Diversity in Operations: An Introduction
- Housing and Community Development and Redevelopment Programs: Historical and Current Environment Perspectives
- Board Functions and Individual Commissioner’s Roles: An Overview
- Commissioner’s Role, Responsibility and Relationships: Community Stakeholders
- Commissioner’s Role, Responsibility and Relationships: Stewardship – the Public Trust
- Commissioner’s Role, Responsibility and Relationships: Intra-Organizational Issues
- Board Composition and Dynamics: Building Productive and Effective Working Relationships
- Board Governance
- Conclusion: The End of the Beginning
- Closing Remarks
- Post-Assessment and Program Evaluation
Ethics and the Housing and Community Development Commissioner (All Day Wednesday): Ethics plays a significant role in the life of a commissioner. This seminar increases the commissioner's understanding of professional conduct guidelines, and the ability to recognize and appropriately address ethics-related issues and problems that may occur. Participants learn about industry laws and regulations that may impact ethical conduct, and how to build capacity as a board member. This course, intended for the new commissioner and a refresher for the veteran, uses practical applications and skills assessment exercises to reinforce ethical concepts. (.65 CEUs)
- Introduction: Global Perspectives on Ethics
- History, Laws and Regulations, Code of Professional Conduct
- Defining Ethics and Ethical Conduct
- Fiduciary Duty, Conflicts of Interest, Ethical Decision Making
- Ethical Dilemmas
- Ethical Leadership
Registration - must be received no later than July 1, 2018
PDF Registration Form