Inkster (MI) Housing Commission
Title: Maintenance Supervisor
General Description: IHC’s Maintenance Supervisor, under the direction of the Asset Manager(s) or designee, the incumbent of this position will beresponsible for processing work orders timely, data-entry, maintain inventory controls, prepare various monthly, quarterly and annual reports, coordinating and scheduling workflow for maintenance personnel, resolving routine and complex maintenance assignments, to include day to day work orders, follow up to complaints, and other maintenance-related duties as assigned.
Reports to: Asset Manager(s)
Supervises: This is a Supervisory Position
An employee in this class may be called upon to perform any and all other tasks listed below.
This list of examples does not include all of the tasks, which the employee may be asked to perform.
- Assists with the receiving and processing of work orders to ensure timely closing of all work orders
- Performs quality control on work done from maintenance staff
- Establish and oversee and effective maintenance program
- Inspect all properties of IHC, and prepare work order assignments from findings, while also overseeing the REAC process with Asset Managers
- Reconciles costs and purchases to the scopes assigned to contractors
- Assist management by identifying cost or inventory discrepancies and helps find solutions.
- Assist in preparing various monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as needed
- Completes other technical assignments in support of the maintenance department’s overall workload
- Effectively communicate and supervisor maintenance, grounds, and custodial staff
- Collaborates with Asset Manager in the selection of training new employees, acts on employee performance problems, implements discipline, etc.
- Answer telephone calls: takes and relays messages accurately, and promptly follow up to staff, colleagues, residents, and general public if required
- Approve or deny payment for work done on IHC properties by contractors, and oversee compliance with work according to local, state, and federal standards
- Order supplies and effectively manage an inventory of stock
- Teach, guide, and train staff
- Assign and attend to after hour call emergencies
The Maintenance Coordinator will be held to the following Performance Standards. Job Performance under these standards will be factored into annual employee performance review.
- Meets quality and performance standards established by the supervisor for all work completed.
- Pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the organization and industry and aligns work with strategic goals.
- Conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure despite obstacles or opposition.
- Have general knowledge of housing operations and property maintenance relative to inventory management.
- Completes data entry of work orders and materials inventory in an accurate and timely manner each day so that data entry is not backlogged.
- Displays leadership skills
- Timely, clear and detailed communication to leadership team, maintenance staff and vendors
- Exhibits courtesy during the telephone and personal contact with IHC staff and the public.
- Reliable Attendance: Leave does not exceed the amount permitted and the employee has no unexcused absences from the job; the employee is available to work during non-business hours when the need arises.
- Education: High School diploma or GED(Mandatory); some college or trade school (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree (highly advantageous)
- Experience: Five (5) or more years of experience working in a maintenance position.
- Two years (2) years of experience as a supervisory.
- (Mandatory) Experience working in a Subsidized property management environment
- (Preferred) An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must obtain a Maintenance Manager Certification, Commercial Applicator’s license for categories 10A5, Core, and 6C, or a Trained Pesticide Applicator within 18 months of employment.
- Uniform Physical Condition Standards certification (Preferred)
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to prepare required spreadsheets and reports
- Prior experience and knowledge of REAC, UPCS inspection protocol
- Proven inventory management with ability to track and document supply usage
- Working knowledge of storeroom methods and procedures, including inventory recordkeeping and requisition, and purchasing procedures
- Ability to use tablets, desktop computers and standard office equipment for conducting duties efficiently
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word is preferred
- Excellent data input skills and familiarity with database software packages
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly, both orally and written
- Accuracy in data entry
- Great eye for detail
- Ability to read and comprehend data reports and procedures
- Must acknowledge and agree to maintain a drug-free workplace as a condition of employment with Inkster Housing Commission.
- Must have valid license and insurance
- Must be able to pass MTAT (Maintenance Technician Aptitude Test) provided by employer prior to offer of employment
- Ability to work flexible hours
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations could be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work will involve some physical exertion, such as lifting occasionally 50 lbs.
- Must be able to simultaneously sit and/or stand for up to eight hours at a time while preforming work duties including sitting, standing, reaching, grabbing, climbing, operating handheld tools and other machinery
- Must be able to travel to Inkster Housing Commission residential sites.
- Must be able to use fingers bilaterally and unilaterally to operate job-related equipment.
- Position generally may be experienced to a range of weather conditions, high noise level at times, and a potential hazardous environment with machinery, tools, chemicals, etc..
- Must be able to effectively delegate tasks.
- Must be able to perform essential job functions in an environment that will sometimes include increased levels of work-related stress due to deadlines and/or interactions with IHC stakeholders.
This is an at-will position, with no tenure vested. Continued employment is at the discretion of the hiring body of the Inkster Housing Commission and based upon employee performance and compliance with Inkster Housing Commission’s policies and procedures.
Inkster Housing Commission reserves the right to change or alter this job description based on regulation changes and/or the business needs of the Commission.