Budget cuts

  • 26 Sep 2012 2:03 PM
    Message # 1083971

    Due to the anticipated continued reduction of operating fund subsidies, I am wondering what creative ways any of you have found to cut budget costs.  I would also like to know what percentage of health insurance your agency pays, and if you cover the emplyee's family as part of their benefit. 

  • 27 Sep 2012 7:36 AM
    Reply # 1084567 on 1083971

    We link up with our local Michigan Works Office to utilize the job readiness programs and the Youth training programs for extra hands with general maintenance needs such as landscaping and unit turnarounds.

    Currently we have not made any changes to our insurance coverage but I expect that to come to an end in the very near future.  Another discussion we've had is reducing the amount contributed for the retirement disbursement.

    We have reduced the days per week that we work to four.  We are closed on Fridays and have been doing that for quite some time.  We have made all our applications accessible 24 hours a day through our lobby and online.  People can also utilize the drop box to pay rent or turn in forms to us.  I think using the website more in the future and improving on that function will help a great deal with questions and referral calls that we receive.

    I know we are all facing rough roads ahead but we need to make sure we get loud and voice our opposition to some of these proposed changes that Congress is looking at making. I think sequestration is going to be the most damaging thing to happen to us in years.  I hope this helps. 

  • 27 Sep 2012 1:58 PM
    Reply # 1084904 on 1083971
    We can't cut health benefits because we do not get any. The 3 of us working here have been on our spouses plans. That plan in my case is going to sky rocket next year. My advice is put CFP money into operating for next year and vote for the candidates who will most likely save our jobs and funding--gee--I wonder who that is?
  • 18 Oct 2012 8:38 AM
    Reply # 1107101 on 1083971
    Employees of BHC pay 20% of the medical cost of the health care premium, and that cost varies depending on whether they have single, double or family coverage.  The agency pays the other 80%.  No creative input on cutting operational costs, other than what has already been done - cutting staff and hence, services.  Kim's movement toward technology oriented operations is the best way I see to go, minimizing the amount of time spent at the front desk. 

Michigan Chapter of the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials
169 Templar, Pinckney, Michigan  48169               Phone: 734.498.2493               Fax: 734.498.8415          minahro@minahro.org

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software